Mix Contest IV: Audio Buffet
Ok. We’re mixing it up a bit this time (ha!) – trying out a new mix contest concept. Here’s how it goes. Below is a list of 30 qualifiers for mix tracks. Some qualifiers are emotional in nature, some are technical in nature, and some are kinda both.
Choosing from this list of 30 pick a selection of songs that satisfy a selection of qualifiers, and make a mix from those songs. Put them in any order and pick whichever you want, as many as you’d like to fit on your mix. [Don’t let the term “qualifier” freak you out, think of it more like a buffet, an Audio Buffet, where you can choose from various offerings.] Note: You don’t need to make a mix using all 30, which would, well, be almost impossible, but we’re expecting you to use at least 10 qualifiers.
QUALIFIERS (THE BUFFET):
- [Q01] Your favorite song released in the last 9 months (from September 1, 2004).
- [Q02] A song that reminds you of summer.
- [Q03] A really good cover version you think no one else has heard.
- [Q04] A song you actually like by an artist you otherwise hate.
- [Q05] An instrumental song.
- [Q06] If your life was made into a movie, a song you would want played in the credits.
- [Q07] A song that sounds to you like being happy feels.
- [Q08] A song from a band with a really cool name.
- [Q09] A song from a band with a really lame name.
- [Q10] Your favorite song that has expletives in it that’s not by Liz Phair.
- [Q11] A song that sounds as if it’s by someone British but isn’t.
- [Q12] A song about, or mentioning a real person or an historical event.
- [Q13] A song (or clip) that’s 3:00 minutes in length or shorter.
- [Q14] A song sung by a person you would like to get with.
- [Q15] A song from the first cd/ cassette / 8-track you ever got.
- [Q16] A good song for a road trip.
- [Q17] A fabulous dance song.
- [Q18] A song you want played at your funeral.
- [Q19] One of the earliest songs that you can remember listening to.
- [Q20] A song whose lyrics you thought you knew, but which you later learned you were incorrect.
- [Q21] A song sung by a woman.
- [Q22] A song you’ve listened to repeatedly when you were sad, either to cheer you up or to aid in the continued wallowing in your own self-pity.
- [Q23] A song that has made you cry.
- [Q24] A song that reminds you of an ex.
- [Q25] A good song for working out to.
- [Q26] A song you’ve been mocked by friends for liking.
- [Q27] OK. So you still really like the song even though it’s been in a TV commercial or on a TV show. (Sellouts, sheesh.)
- [Q28] A song that’s title begins with the letter “A”.
- [Q29] A song that’s title begins with the letter “J”.
- [Q30] A song you would choose to sing at a karaoke.So that’s the list of qualifiers. Cool idea eh? Well, thanks to Kari (Weekday) for pointing out a similar challenge on the Art of the Mix website. Jen and I have brainstormed, expanded and edited the original idea, so we hope you really like it and are inspired to be part of this 4th (Annual!) Mix Contest. Whoo hoo!